We have just received an email from our Chinese tour company announcing that our tour is cancelled, we can’t drive through China. This is very sad news and also a major turnoff. Our permit to transit through China in our own vehicles has been refused. We are now getting drunk with Chinggis Vodka here in Ulan Baatar while we consider the alternatives. A couple of ideas had been thrown on the table:
- Get very good winter gear and ride to Vladivostok, then take a boat to Korea and from there somewhere else
- Same but take a boat to Canada and forsake South East Asia
- Ship the bike to Thailand and fly to Thailand
- Same but backpack across China
- Same but buy my Chinese bike, maybe I’ll finally get that Shineray 😉
Meanwhile, just a thought about abusive governments.